The following table is a brief history of Immaculate Conception Church, as recorded in the souvenir booklet "One-Hundredth Anniversary, Waubay, S.Dak. 1880-1980" held July 4-6, 1980.
Care was made to assure accuracy but no warranties are offered. The data is presented here for genealogical purposes in hopes of helping people locate their ancestors. Information transcribed by Karen Kambestad.
Individuals and non-profit organizations for their private use may freely copy this file. Any other use, including publication, storage in a retrieval system, or transmission by electronic, mechanical, or other means requires the written approval of the file's author. This file is part of the SDGENWEB Archives.
Immaculate Conception Church
Catholic priests came by train from Webster to serve the Waubay families prior to building the church in 1904. Waubay remained a mission served by Webster until 1910 when Reverend Father Edward Fierek became the first resident pastor.
The present church on North Main Street was built in 1955. Active groups include the Catholic Daughters, Knights of Columbus, Ladies Altar Society and the Menís Club.
The pastor of record in 1980 was Reverend Father Leo Pospichal.