Frank Anderson Biography
This biography appears on pages 1095-1096 in "History of Dakota Territory" by George W. Kingsbury, Vol. IV (1915) and was scanned, OCRed and edited by Maurice Krueger, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Individuals and non-profit organizations for their private use may freely copy this file. Any other use, including publication, storage in a retrieval system, or transmission by electronic, mechanical, or other means requires the written approval of the file's author. This file is part of the SDGENWEB Archives. If you arrived here inside a frame or from a link from somewhere else, our front door is at http://www.rootsweb.com/~usgenweb/sd/sdfiles.htm
Frank Anderson, actively engaged in the practice of law at Webster, was born in Fillmore county, Minnesota, October 18, 1870, and is a son of Iver and Kari (Erickson) Anderson, both of whom were natives of Norway, born in 1842 and 1839 respectively. His grandfather and grandmother on his mother’s side, Mr. and Mrs. Eric Nortomme, came to the United States and spent their remaining days on this side of the water. In his native country the grandfather had followed the shoemaker’s trade. Iver Anderson arrived in Fillmore County, Minnesota, in the year 1868, purchased school land there and lived upon his farm for ten years. He afterward removed to Lac qui Parle County, Minnesota, and purchased a relinquishment claim in 1880. He then devoted his energies to the further development and improvement of that property until 1902, when he retired from active business life and now resides in Montevideo, Minnesota. His efforts were attended with success and he is now the possessor of a comfortable competence.
While in Fillmore County, Minnesota, he wedded Kari Erickson, who passed away on the 25th of June 1912. In their family were four children, of whom two are yet living, the younger being Ingeborg, now the wife of N. O. Borten, a farmer living near Montevideo. Mr. Anderson is a member of the Lutheran church. In his political views he is a republican and has held some local offices. Frank Anderson pursued his early education in the public schools of Lac qui Parle County, after which he spent two years as a student in the Windom Institute at Montevideo and also studied for two years at Anamosa, Iowa. Later he pursued a commercial course in Cedar Rapids and a scientific and classical course in Valparaiso, Indiana, to which he devoted two years. He then spent a similar period in the study of law at Valparaiso and was admitted to the bar in 1899, after which he located for practice in Webster. He remained alone for a time but in 1900 formed a partnership with Josephus Alley, a connection that was maintained for five years. On the dissolution of that partnership in 1905 Mr. Anderson became associated with W. G. Waddel and they have practiced together since April 1906, being accorded a liberal clientage. They have been connected with much important litigation and Mr. Anderson carefully prepares his cases so that he is ready to meet any emergency in the courts. In 1899 was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Anderson and Miss Helen Sophie Knudson, of Davis, Illinois. They are well known in Webster and the hospitality of the best homes is cordially extended them. Their religious faith is that of the Lutheran church and Mr. Anderson is connected with the Knights of Pythias. In politics he is a republican and has served as states attorney of Day County for six years. He is now a member of the board of regents of education of the state, to which office he was appointed by Governor Byrne in April, 1914. He belongs to the State Bar Association and has the high regard of his contemporaries and colleagues in practice.